Thread: Coping Skills
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

Great question, cracked. I'll be at 6 months this weekend, and learned this week that I don't have the coping skills I thought I did.

I'm in sales, and there's a saying that a salesperson needs to "fake it til they make it". I've found myself doing this in recovery as well. Positive self-talk; eliminating the power of the alcoholic voice through sheer denial of its power in my life, and making myself get out into the public to get perspective. I tend to live in my head and isolate, and just going out to see that there are others in the world, and likely have heavy issues of their own, helps.

Dazee's ideas are great. I esp. like the book store. I've buried myself in recovery literature, and made a study of this condition of addiction we share. For me, that takes some of the mystery out of it, and helps me prepare for what to expect.

Bottom line, though, is learning to love yourself again. In order to "love your neighbor as yourself" you must love yourself first. That is a tenet that has too often escaped me, and I don't believe I'm alone among alcoholics in that way.

AA or NA meetings provide almost all of the above. If you attend, do so at your own pace and level of comfort. You want recovery to open your mind and heart, not shut it tight by ideas that rub you wrong.

Again, great question. Thanks.