Thread: Coping Skills
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MsJax

Hi cracked. I'm sober about 10 months. My old method of coping with anything revolved around grabbing the bottle. I remember when I first got sober (& even very occassionaly now) life would go haywire & I would immediately want to drink. Every time. So I would have to say my first coping method would have to be the ability to tell myself right at that first moment "Stop". Just stop my brain. I don't have to know the why's or how's or any reasons for alcoholism.

Next, visualize. Visualize all the drunken wreckage that was my life. Do I want to temporarily "fix" my stress by drinking? NO. Get myself through the craving & stress. Think. It's ok to feel good or bad. These feelings do not need to be fixed or enhanced by booze.

So those were really my first 2 tiny baby steps to start getting sober. That coupled with my admission that my life was truly unmanageable due to my drinking.

Then I added in things like reading on here. Lots of walking. Yoga. Having a clean, organized well running home. Allowing life to be what it is & realizing I am only in charge of me. Adding in gratitude. Truly feeling grateful for my very life & feeling it is my responsiblity to myself & that universe to live a good, sober, authentic life.

So those are some of my ongoing coping methods. Best wishes to you That is a good question.