Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ClayTheScribe

I've found there's a difference between sobriety and recovery. You can have sobriety without the recovery, but you can't have recovery without sobriety. Getting sober is one thing and often times a Herculean task for many. For me it was relatively easy (probably because I didn't consume as much alcohol as some so physically it wasn't bad). But recovery was and is a beast. It involves a lot of mental and emotional maintenance to keep the darkness (aka the addictive mind) from coming back. There are a lot of possibilities. He could be exhausted by the process and doesn't want to get into anything with you. He may think because you're not an addict you won't understand what he's going through. He may know deep down talking to you would help a lot, but his darkness is tricking him into not talking to you. The only way you're going to know is to start a dialogue with him. If he's unwilling, make it known however you need that you are here to listen without judgment and with compassion, any time he needs. Even if he rejects, at least he knows and it shows you're making an effort. Overall, don't take it too personally, he's probably dealing with a lot of demons he hasn't faced before as a sober individual and he may not be ready to face them with someone so close to him because he feels vulnerable. Just practice compassion toward him and yourself as much as possible and always be ready to listen, not talk, but listen.