Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
michelle01

Originally Posted by RyanRed
5. Focus on the future. Realize life is much better sober. Sometimes a newly sober person can't grasp that idea because all they ever knew was alcohol. That being sober is dull and boring. Well I was one of those people, and I'm not going to lie here, it was dull and boring at first. But it wasnt dull and boring because I stopped drinking. It was dull and boring because I had no clue how to tackle life without drinking. Everything changed. I was so used to drinking, and thats all I ever knew. I was brainwashed in a sense. Over time, I have become that fun outgoing person again, and without the aid of alcohol. More importantly, people actually ENJOY being around me more now then they did when ever I was drunk. Even the people I drank with in the past say this. "Ryan, I actually enjoy your company more sober." <-- Ive been told this a few times now.
All your points very true, but this standing out to me. I see a lot of romanticizing and glorifying of alcohol, it seems a part of our culture. I found it very difficult to see a future without alcohol... what? give up altogether??? How? But literally a new life has opened up. Once I got past that grieving/denial stage and started getting some acceptance, and some clarity of thought.

You have to work at it, stick with it, be true to yourself as you say. I know I had to stop with the seeking big extremes, easy highs and escapes mentality, expecting everything to be 'perfect' etc. But something you've had to work for is infinitely more meaningful and rewarding. Everything I thought alcohol gave me turned out to be ultimately an illusion, I paid for the highs with terrible crashes. In time, the highs themselves were harder to come by, but I had a habit, which demanded to be constantly fed.

Well done on 9 months, that is truly a milestone. And I sort of felt like I'd turned a corner at that stage. 9 to 12 months wasn't that difficult for me.