View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whiskeyjoe

Why do you call other alcoholics?

I celebrated 6 months a few weeks ago. While I am proud of myself, it seems like I've hit some sort of slump. There's a couple of reasons why, but maybe someone can chime in with any of their experience.

1. My sponsor. I think it's time to get a new one. I don't call him that often, sometimes less than once a month. Every time we try to meet up something comes up. We've only met up once in the past 6 months. Our schedules are just too conflicting. He's got this weird work schedule and pulls last minute changes all the time. He's a good guy and all and he's got a lot of good things to say, but I think I need someone else who can meet up with me more often.

2. I withdraw. I haven't been real big on fellowshipping. I'm the guy at the meeting that will say a few things about whatever the reading is or maybe talk about some of the things that have been going on with me just to get it off my chest. Once the meeting is over I might say hello to a few people and shake a few hands, but then I'm out of there. I have a real hard time striking up a conversation with people and not too many people approach me. I've gotten tons of phone numbers as a newcomer, but I never use them.

#1 is relatively new for me. I only decided to get a new sponsor last week and so far I really haven't found anyone that I'd be comfortable with. So I'll keep looking.

Regarding #2, I was thinking that more action on my part would help me out. So I thought, with all these phone numbers, maybe I should start reaching out to others. My sponsor always told me that it's alright to call other people besides him if I have a problem. The thing is I have a hard time differentiating what is a good reason to call someone. I've really only called people (actually just my sponsor and my first sponsor) when the s*#t is about to hit the fan. Any other time I think that I might want to call someone I think that I'm just bothering them. Lately I've been trying to come up with good reasons to call, but nothing seems to be popping up. I don't want to come off as whiny and just unload my problems on a stranger.

I have more to say about this, but I don't know how to put it in the right words right now.