Thread: oh no...
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((CB)))))
"Yes, this disease ruins families..the predisposition to the disease is passed down from generation to generation. Sad, but true."

dollydo beat me to it.

I am the product of that predisposition, and I am sober and clean over 30 years, my nephew age 26 (my sister's child 1 of 4) also has the predisposition and is now sober over 3 almost 4 years, he called me instead of his mom, and we 'talked' a lot over about 3 months, at least bi-weekly, (he too, became an addict thanks to a Dr and then the Dr just stop prescribing and NEVER OFFERED ANY HELP, even though "J" asked him several times).

When he called me the last time 'before' rehab (he had insurance, and wanted to know which 2 or 3 were at the 'top of the APPROVED LIST' in the recovery committee, for his insurance company as far as recovery goes, I got him the info, he took the one with 'maximum' of 6 months', stayed 4 1/2 months and was cleared for release, went to a SLE home and back to for another 5 months (his furniture was stored in the 3rd garage space of his mother's home) then got a new apartment and is doing great.

I tell you this before I say BREATHE, Take a slow deep breath, hold for a slow count to 10, exhale and repeat 10 times. This does work, allows your brain to SLOW DOWN, keeps the 'committee' on hold and gives you back the ability to be LOGICAL and use YOUR 'TOOLS'. It really works, I use this method for LOTS of things that happen in my life and IT WORKS.

Your nephew will FIND RECOVERY when he is READY and not one moment sooner.

In the mean time we are here for you and we are WALKING WITH YOU in SPIRIT.

I am sorry you got the news the way you did, but I do suspect in your 'sub conscious' you already knew about the red flags:

[QUOTE]My mom and I have been worried about my brother for a while. He seems depressed and doesn't respond to text messages, calls and voicemails, emails... nothing. I know that he drinks, but I don't live with him, so I couldn't tell you how much or how often. Over christmas, he was very irritable. He would yell and get angry at the simplest things (traits similar my dad). I strongly believe that alcohol is influencing his life in a negative way, but I can only suspect.[QUOTE]

J M H O

I'm not sure if you want to give this site to your sister, but there are plenty of Alanon sites with 'forums that she can post on. That is a personal decision for you to make.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing because we really do care, and you know you can cry, rant, rave, scream and even laugh here as there are folks who defintely understand.

Love and hugs,