Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Willybluedog

Welcome paige, you are in the right place, so glad you found us.

The first thing I would recommend is to read the stickies (permanant posts) at the top of the page, also if you want a glimpse into the possible future for your children go over to the Adult Children of Alcoholics Page and read the stickies and stories there, you may also relate to many characteristics of ACOA's because it also applies to children raised in dysfunctional or chaotic homes as well as alcoholic homes.

Counseling has been a huge help for me (raised by an alcoholic mother who is still actively drinking) it helps me deal with the anger and frustration I feel, many people here will recommend al-anon. The important thing to remember is you cannot fix him or make him stop drinking, all you can control is how you react.

You can set boundaries, tell him to go somewhere else for his every other month binges (a hotel, his parents, a tent) you and your children don't have to tolerate verbal abuse.

I hope this helps, if you need to vent, this is the place to do it, you need a sympathetic ear, a shoulder to lean on or a ((Hug)) I will be here as I am sure will be many others.

Please take care, come back often and let us know how you are doing.

I will say a prayer for you and your family, best of luck.

Bill