View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MustStop

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
If you feel better not drinking then you've solved your drinking problem.

If you find after a while that you feel edgy, irritable, and the world and people look ugly and dangerous and you've gotten the short shaft in life and may as well drink again because what could one hurt, then you're likely alcoholic and stopping drinking just makes us feel worse, not better and returns us to drinking when we'd earlier decided firmly we weren't going to do that.

I hope you feel better and are able to enjoy not drinking for the rest of your life. That would mean the only thing that was blocking your success in life was booze. That's far different than the changes an alcoholic must make to stay comfortably sober for their lifetime, and not something to be entered into unless you have no other choice.
Here we go into day 2 of being sober.

Yes, booze made me put other things off. I've missed so much just being hung over. Never took anything seriously, it was like an anchor holding me down and I was oblivious to how much harm its been causing me. I've made some bad decisions and choices while in a drunken stupor that has caused me to go backwards in life.

I am not happy about where I am today, I am not happy about how little I've advanced. Far from successful but I have the talent and potential to do anything I want and succeed at it. While being a drunk I think of it to the equivalent of only running at 1/3 potential..maybe less.

I'd love to hear some turn around stories from others that have recovered.