View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2granddaughters

Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
This may sound crazy, but I feel so weird not drinking in the evenings...Not so much physically but mentally.... Drinking and smoking at night is my comfort zone....it's where I feel safe....While I know that drinking is NOT safe, for some reason I feel some sort of comfort about my little spot that I would hang out at on my back porch with my beer or glass of wine, my cigarettes and my laptop....It was where I escaped....

Now, I just don't know what to do...I can tell myself to do a thousand things like read a book, play with the kids, clean the house, catch up on my DVR shows, go to the gym, etc...but for some reason I don't feel normal doing those things. I can do them during the day, but at night it feels like like I am missing an old friend or something...and it's sad to say what I am missing out on is the very thing that is destroying me.

How can I get past this??? How can I feel normal at night again with out the poison? I feel like I am in mourning or something.
You are in mourning. Your old life, as bad as it is/was is dying, and we are sad.

j, everything that you describe is what we all went through in the beginning.. it will pass.

I found it very comforting to be in the company of other drunks who had sobered up before me and were encouraging me to carry on. Without that personal touch (God working through people) I know I would have failed.

You are right where you are supposed to be, and it is the most unnatural place for an alcoholic to be.

Are you going to AA meetings?

Bob R.