Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KelleyF

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Kelley, please go back and re-read Laurie6781's post. I couldn't have said it any better.

I was a hard-core needle user in my last years before rehab. I had plenty of labs done while in rehab, and I've had plenty since, including having blood drawn.

Yes, it was unsettling for me early on, but it did not make me want to go back out and use. I wanted recovery more than anything else.

Anytime I felt "triggered" or had the urge, I had plenty of people to call in recovery, including my sponsor, and I got past it.

These days I just feel ill when I have blood drawn. I've almost fainted a couple of times!

The world is full of temptations. It's up to him to figure out how he's going to deal with those.

Neither you or his father are going to be able to keep him in a cocoon.

Sending you hugs of support.
We've sorta drifted off topic, but oh well....

Actually I agree with you Freedom about the temptations. Maybe if I told the whole story then I wouldnt sound like such a cody codi....

I had actually seen the newspaper days ago, and my first reaction was " isnt that a coincidence" and my second thought was " this probably isnt really something he should be looking at" It did have Cocaine in big print on the cover of the section, with a map of the continents made out of white powder and then a razor blade, and lines done in white powder.

My first thought was to toss it; but then I decided that would be sensorship and I realized I cant do that because what does that lead to:
trying to sensor movies, and music, and what happens if I spill flour on the kitchen counter. So I just left it there. And I didnt worry about it

When his dad had the fit; I wasnt involved in it at all; I was just there.
BF really didnt argue with him; he just tried to diffuse his anger with a couple of jokes (that didnt help), and when he was doen ranting. BF just said ' are you done now'

So today his dad apologized to me about it; and explained why it worried him, and I agreed, but said there are a lot of things that might trigger him and then I gave him examples. One of those examples was the blood draw...and he hadnty thought of that and it did upset him I could tell, because he was the one who insisted that BF have it done.

And then we discussed rationally how the triggers cant be controlled and that he just has to learn how to deal with them. And that is what he is doing with his treatment.

So all in all, it wasnt two codys sitting there whining and worrying.
I mean Im not going to say I dont worry at all; I do, but I think it is at a healthy level now, where I realize its just general concern and not at a microscopic level.

I actually had my laptop today and did work for the office, so I didnt even have to take the day off today; I got paid for waiting . Cool....

Im really glad to hear that the Blood Draws didnt bother you; I did think about that based on some comments here on the forum, but I never asked him about it or anything; just figured he was going to have to deal with it, or talk to the dr about it.