View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

My AH and I are amicably separated. I have a very firm boundary that he doesn't drink around me or the kids. Period. I do not drink when I am around him, ever.

Now that I am living on my own, I will have 1-2 glasses of wine per week, usually while I am cooking dinner. I find I am able to enjoy it for the first time, and it's WONDERFUL to open up a bottle of wine and know that no one is going to finish it the next day, and that I will probably wind up tossing half of it out. I even bought a bottle of brandy at Xmas to put in egg nog, and I enjoy looking at that bottle in the cupboard, knowing it will be there next time I look. No disappearing alcohol.

I live in wine country, and am enjoying being able to purchase some great local wines and know they will sit unopened until *I* decide to use them instead of my AH guzzling them down indiscriminately. He once drank a $100 bottle of wine that had been a gift from friends. What a waste!

I have 3 teenagers and there is a lot of discussion in our house about what is responsible alcohol use. I am glad to be able to model something different for them, ie, a parent who can enjoy a glass of wine and that's it. What they saw before is that once the wine was opened up, it was a free for all.