Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I can't say that moving on from her is necessarily in order. I've got a spiritual adviser who reads a lot of the Koran and several who are Buddhists while I'm catholic. If we're working AA as it should be, these differences aren't brought into play. There's something to be said about tough sponsors, yanno? Many of the best message-carriers I know in AA had really tough sponsors.

I hate to talk too much AA outside the 12Step forum as it tends to irritate ppl and usually brings out the usual suspects and their "that's why AA doesn't work.....bla bla bla" stuff but I will say a couple things. What happened to sponsor 1? Why'd you leave her? Is sponsor 2 bringing a bible to meetings or is she just talking a lot about the God of her understanding and you're not cool with that yet? Is she telling you to seek God or is she telling to seek HER God (one's great, the other not so great).

If she doesn't know the program, hasn't had a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps and/or can't show you how to do the same.......those are pretty good reasons. If you don't respect her or don't trust her because of her actions......those are good reasons too.

From what I read in your first post though, you quit working THE program and began working YOUR program - the one where you're suddenly able to manage your life and your sobriety. It seems you did (as we all do from time to time) the old why do all this nasty step work, go to meetings and get honest........everything's just fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine now..... That's precisely why Bill warned us at the beginning of the steps with "half measures availed us NOTHING." You quit doing what was working and went back to doing what you wanted to do.....

If you're a real alcoholic...... OF COURSE YOU DRANK. And if your sponsor is any kind of recovered alkie, she'll understand exactly where you're coming from and advise you whether she thinks the two of you can work together or not or if maybe it would be to your and her advantage if you found someone else.