View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by crisco View Post
I am not asking for more help to the problem. I asking forless help to my problems because I am too needy. I am a drain to my sponsor so I should dump him and that I become my own sponsor. I have failed too many times in this program for somebody to sponsor so I need to sponsor myself until I get over six months, I need less help and more will power to do things my own.
Reading this gets me to wondering. I am not suggesting you dump AA, but from what you say here, you might want to investigate some other recovery programs.

AA is based on putting self will down, conceding to the program and a sponsor is very strongly suggested, lest the alcoholic go their own way and get lost.

There are recovery programs that work on the premise that addicts can use their own will, strengths and abilities to get and stay sober.

You might want to look at AVRT, SMART, and Rational Recovery and see if their approach feels right to you.

For some addicts conceding defeat, putting down self will and submitting totally to a program IS the only way they can get and maintain sobriety. I do not know how much you have been able to put yourself into the program of AA, you might not be finding success there because you didn't truly give yourself up to the program, or you might not be finding success there because it is not the program for you.

For alcoholics, drinking is never a real solution, but there are a variety of real solutions available. Glad you are here searching and investigating. You express determination and intent to get sober, there is no reason that you should not achieve that goal.