Thread: Selfish
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
susanlauren

I keep asking myself whether I'm pushing my own issues onto him, and maybe I am, but it's just how I feel sometimes. :-/

Actually based upon what you have said and from an outsiders perspective, it sounds as if your boyfriend has his own issues with drinking. Have you considered that what he considers normal social drinking may not be normal social drinking? Most people don't care all that much about alcohol and drinking -- it is a drink or two with dinner and an evening out or at a social event. Maybe it is a matter of you being able to recognize that things aren't what you thought they were now that you are no longer drinking.

I'm just feeling like I am boring and my life is all about recovery/AA and that is stupid to normal people. I feel like some kind of a freak. But it's not like anyone is making me feel like that, it's just some internal thing. I guess because if it were up to me, no one would ever be drinking! I know this is unrealistic and I know I have to live in the real world and I can't control other people/the circumstances, but, I feel like any option sucks. Secluding myself/only being around AA people would suck, but being around people who are drinking a lot sucks too. It's not like they're just drinking a beer or two, they are doing shots with liquor chasers (?!) and here I sit totally sober... it's just weird. I am just having really negative feelings right now but I don't see a long-term solution because nothing sounds like a better alternative.

No we can't control what others do or don't do. People are going to drink if that is what they want to do -- some socially, some abusively and some alcoholically. AA is not a temperance society and is not striving to bring back Prohibition. There is no animosity in AA or among AA members against drinking as an institution. It (drinking) is simply not for us who have a problem with it. I know I would feel alone and out of place if everyone around me were focused on drinking and I were the only one who was sober. And I honestly wouldn't enjoy watching others get tipsy and drunk.

I think there are a whole lot more options than being secluded in AA vs. being around heavy drinkers. There is an entire world of activities that are fun and rewarding which do not involve drinking and which do not involve recovery. Volunteer at a local nursing home or for Big Brothers/Big Sisters, take up a hobby, take a class at the local community college, learn a new language, join a bike club or a hiking group or a nature group, walk the dogs at the local animal shelter, be part of a community garden, join a book club, join a fitness club/gym, take dance lessons, learn Tia Chi .... the list is endless.

Are you boring? Or is the one track song track -- lets get together and drink as the social outlet and social activity -- boring? Honestly, I would find a lot more enjoyment in the activities I listed above as compared to "watching the game and getting drunk", "going skiing and getting drunk", "getting together with friends and getting drunk", "going out to dinner and getting drunk", etc. Well you get the idea.