View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zbear23

I think the notion of the "functioning alcoholic" is a logical fallacy. We all function to some degree, and when that functioning causes desirable results we proudly claim we are functionngi alcoholics. Got a job, pay my bills, own a home, support my family, etc etc.

But "functioning" is relative. I used to believe that smoking pot made me a better musician, that drinking alcohol made improved my social skills, etc. etc. And this may have been true up to a point. But the question left unasked and unanswered was always...."what if I took the time and energy to do it "on the natch?" The fact that mood and mind altering substances alter our moods and minds means that they distort reality and impair my functioning in various ways....one of which is the overuse of denial, by which I cannot identify myself as the cause of my problems. IOW....I don't notice and refuse to admit the problem(s).

What if I was clean and sober. Would my functioning life be even more functional? Would my successes be greater? My relationships more loving? Is just being functional....attaining a certain level of comforable survival enough? Why is it alright to settle for less?

Just because the extent or degree of my non-functioning might not be so noticable (especially to me), does not mean I"m firing on all cylinders. Most often the dysfunction isn't identified until it is seriosly impacting my life, and by that time it will be much harder to fix. And part of the effect of these substances is they produce a lack of self awareness that plays into the denial that there's anything wrong with ME. When challenged, I can claim to be "functional"...until I"m not. And one of my favorite strategies was to find someone or something else to blame.

Alcoholism/addiction is progressive. It gets worse, not better, over time. Like any other problem, the longer I wait to address it, the more difficult it becomes to change.

Stop being merely "functional" . I had to learn to respect and love myself more than just being functional....just surviving.

It may be what "they" meant when they suggested I "get a life."

blessings
zb