View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
DaveVelasco

Originally Posted by BluesBrothers View Post
Hello all! I am new to the forum and looking for some objective advice.

While I never drank at home, I've always loved to go out with friends to bars, concerts, etc. Drinking was always an integral part of my social life; nearly all of my friends drink when going out.

I've partied pretty hard for about 12 years straight. Never dabbled in drugs, though...never drove drunk or showed up to work intoxicated, but I'd admit I've had many nights where I simply drank too much. Had a few blackouts, etc. Regardless, I loved my fun lifestyle and loved to party with friends.

In December 2010 I lost my wife. In my charge to stay active socially and move forward in life, I did more partying than usual, going out for a few beers once or twice during the week and hitting it hard on the weekend. Had a great time doing it. (Although the period since she's been gone has been incredibly sad, I benefited from a wonderful circle of friends and really fun life outside of work.)

Regardless, I noticed that my hangovers were getting worse and worse. Then, in early November after a weekend of heavy partying with a friend who stayed over the weekend, I had the worst hangover of my life after the last drink Saturday night. Lasted about a week. I am convinced now that I went through alcohol withdrawal. I experienced insomnia, racing heart, eerie bad dreams, some sweating, dizziness, fever, disorientation, etc...scared me so much that I have not had a drop of alcohol since. Been still going out but drinking club sodas or alcohol-free beer.

Going on a bit over 2 months without alcohol. Physically I don't miss it at all and feel great. However, I DO miss the fun, crazy nights out. The experience just isn't the same without alcohol. I fear that I won't have that connection with friends anymore as a non-drinker. I already feel a slight disconnect. Hell, I was just in Las Vegas and didn't touch alcohol...it was fun, but weird and a bit dissatisfying.

Anyways, I acknowledge that I can no longer party like I used to. I feel that my body sent me a signal to change my ways. I am fine with that. But I'd still like to go out and have a beer or two now or then. I'd also be able to go to a music festival or two this summer and party hard for a weekend. But can I?? Should I be scared to have even one beer?

Knowing how dangerous alcohol withdrawal is, how should I proceed? Can I drink now and then but just be conscious not to overdo it? If I do have a crazy extended weekend or vegas trip should I take steps to taper off and not stop cold turkey? Should I avoid drinking two days in a row? Is total abstinence the wisest choice? Should I consult with a physician? I just don't know how to proceed and would appreciate some advice, as I'd like to still enjoy alcohol in moderation but not beat up my body doing so. Bottom line is I am scared to death of another, or worse, alcohol withdrawal.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
It is really hard when it comes to withdrawal stage. A lot of recovering individuals and those who really want to change for the better has gone through such withdrawals.

What I can advice you is, if you really are into changing for the better, you should start NOW and really get committed to it.

WE all have gone through your situation as we change and recover - only in different ways - and if we are able to change for the better - and so are you.