View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
m1k3

Hi everyone. I just wanted to write about my 1st ACA meeting last night. I have 9 months in al-anon with a strong recovery but I wanted to try this as I have been having things from my past coming up as I have been dealing with the issues of my alcoholic wife.

The meetings were similar but there was some big difference in the flavor of the meeting, so to speak.

Al-Anon seems to have more of a focus on recovery where the experience happened to you as an adult.

ACA is focused on how having an alcoholic in control of your life when you were a child affects the way you handle things now.

For me I need both parts. I needed to look at and correct my behaviors on how I was dealing with my AW, letting go of the anger and giving up my illusion that I could control the situation. It has helped hugely. I am in a much better place.

What the ACA meeting started to show me was how my childhood with an AF set me up for what happened with my wife. How I have issues that are totally unrelated to living with my AW, issues that I need to address as well.

Your friend,