View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

The oldtimers in my group said that if I can't remember my last drunk, then I'm doomed to repeat it. I believe them.
I'm not nit-picking you 2...... but I don't believe the ppl who say that. I don't have now nor did I have (back when I was first getting sober) any recollection of my last drunk. I was a blackout drinker.....I rarely remembered it. If I had to guess, I just sat at home, watched TV, got loaded and went to bed. I know my last drink date - I nursed 3 beers in a bar over 2 hours. It was 'controlled/normal/moderate drinking" and it was horribly unrewarding. Not knowing one and/or knowing the other hasn't really contributed to my sobriety all that much.

Page 24 of the Big Book, the part in italics, specifically warns us that remembering our last drink will be of no value and, it's entirely likely that we WON'T remember our last drink:
We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

I was guaranteed a happy sober life IF I'd take certain steps. Thankfully for me, those steps don't include a lot of things I hear at meetings or from old-timers.