View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
langkah

If you believe you're flexible in accepting information you absolutely disagree with and open to taking directions to implement longterm plans with regularity that you don't at all want to do and doing things daily that repeatedly make you intensely uncomfortable but someone told you to do then you might be the 1 out of 30 in your rehab/treatment program group that stays sober.

Rehab sometimes gets the alcoholic's attention but no more often and is no more useful in getting sober than another night in jail or letting down another friend of doing yet another act that we will try our best to ignore going forward.

If you do the rehab thing then you'll have more in common with the sober AAs who have often gone to more than a few on their way to finding a solution. It's common to do everything else that comes to mind first before doing the 12 steps, so a rehab would be a milestone and indicate progress along the road that will hopefully lead you to longterm sobriety.

See if you can find any testimonials online regarding the quality of food served before signing in. That's a large variable among programs and something that makes a real difference in the treatment center experience. Mine actually cooked up and served the limit of trout I caught at a local lake, finding out later it was closed to all fishing. A quality recovery center willing to do that is hard to come by, but they are out there. Though I was drunk a few months later nothing could ever take away my time spent at the lovely ol' Victorian mansion in the care of people who well deserved their amazingly profitable reputation Statewide.

The next one was outpatient and not as much fun, and I drank occasionally right through that one.

A year after starting that one I went to coffee with a little gay guy who mentioned he was paying back a company monthly that he'd ripped off drinking, something about completing his amends step. Though I'd been on the fringe of AA occasionally for the previous 6 years, after meeting this guy I joined his group and as my sponsor he took me through the steps he'd worked with his sponsor. Everyone in the group has either died sober or is still sober almost 30 years later, not one of them has drank again.

I would like to point out the difference in results between those 30 people who together consistently used the 12 steps and what you'll experience with the 30 or so that will be in your rehab class.

The above is not to dissuade you from taking this important step along the road that will hopefully eventually lead you to an answer that works very well for the rest of your lifetime. No one could have shortcutted it for me with a few simple words either.

Enjoy the food.