View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
huntress
now what?

Day 16.

My Christmas guests, two of my best friends, left this afternoon. They got here Friday night, and we spent two joyous days shopping and seeing the sights. Both of them drink, and they drank in my presence/home, but of course were respectful to my desire to abstain. Neither of them is a problem drinker in the least, so there was no tension. They did leave three cold beers in the fridge when they left today, so I put them in a bag and will take them to work tomorrow. I'm sure one of my colleagues will enjoy them.

I'm doing great. I've already dropped four or five pounds (some of it was no doubt water weight) despite eating anything I want whenever I want. I haven't had an urge or given alcohol a second thought for over a week, maybe more. The ease with which I'm leaving alcohol behind (so far) makes me a bit nervous. I can just imagine that I'll go a long time without alcohol or without wanting it, then get the notion that I can drink if I want to because quitting was "too easy" for me.

My partner made the decision to return permanently to sobriety just a couple of days ago (she posts here as Talulah), so I'm excited for our new life. We're still geographically separated, which I'm viewing as a gift while we both embrace a sober life and get our **** together. We'll have time to reacquaint ourselves when we are each solid again.

Today, I took a step toward my "I want" list. I ordered a classical guitar and a beginners lesson book. I've been looking for a decent one to learn on and a place to take lessons for some time now with no success, so I decided that I'll have to teach myself. Hmph. (In the 16 days I've been sober, I've already saved more money than I spent on the guitar and book, which also feels pretty awesome.)

Anyway. Just checking in. Hope y'all had a great Christmas.