View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hey Frankie... I know the feeling. I lost my license 5 yrs ago and getting out hasn't come easily.

I did get a lot of things done around the house to occupy my time though...and it gave me a nice sense of accomplishment: painted several rooms, remodeled my office, built a new computer, etc. I also used that time to learn a lot about recovery and AA.

I found, and still find, that going to meetings can be helpful but some meetings leave me worse off than when I went in. That said, I did find some great speakers to listen to on the net. AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers has a podcast (you need to install itunes to get it) that's free. There are MANY inspirational talks on there. Maybe you'll find them as useful as I did.

The reality is, sobriety can be lonely at times - until you find suitable replacements for drinking and partying. How quickly that happens is partially up to you. For me, I had to put myself out there, so to speak. I had to be willing to do some searching around, attend some different meetings, meet some new people, and get involved in the recovery "community" in my area. As you start to do that, I think you'll find that there's far more to life than you realize and those lonely times will diminish quickly.