View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
PurpleWilder

This must be really hard for you - I can tell you are in a lot of pain. And the holidays make it so much harder.

IMHO, it doesn't sound like she is ready for any type of recovery - local, distant or otherwise. I hate to be harsh, but those friends she is talking about are probably the kinds of friends she can easily score off of. If she moved, she would have to find new contacts for her DOC....

I don't believe from what you said that paying for therapy/rehab would be helpful to her. You would probably shell out the money and after a few days she would walk out. Now your out thousands and she fooled you for a little while longer.

Maybe it is time to let the consequences of her lifestyle catch up to her? Don't help or hinder what she wants to do. Don't provide money or resources that would further her addictions but on the other hand if she has a way she wants to handle it, let her and stay out of it. You will begin to approach sanity when you are no longer involved either way.

I don't think you should give her the option of keeping her stuff in your home if she is stealing your belongings. Others in similar situations here on SR have put such things in a rentable storage unit and paid for the first month or two, and then informed their addict of the arrangement with the caveat that after the prepaid rent runs out, what happens to the contents is their business. If they pay the rent on it, fine. If not, it gets auctioned off or donated by the rental company. Either way, it isn't your problem and you have shucked off an excuse for them to be hanging around your house. And please don't let her move into your home - you say you are worried about where she will be sleeping and what she will be using. SHE WILL USE NO MATTER IF SHE IS IN YOUR HOME, A FLOPHOUSE, OR A FIVE STAR HOTEL. It is what addicts do. But if she is elsewhere, you don't have to worry about her dragging over some of the aforementioned "friends" or getting into a legal situation on your property.

I'm sorry you are going through this today.