View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Hi there. The biggest thing I'm learning (I'm 45 days into sobriety, after several failed attempts starging in May or June of this year... now I'm in AA and do it seriously and feel like it will stick this time!), is that my recovery is all about me. It's not about my boyfriend (who drinks... in fact seems to be drinking even more now that I'm sober... and I struggle with this) and it can't depend on what he does/says or what my friends or family members etc. do or say. It is for me and about me, period. I am not saying this is an easy lesson to be learning. It's very very hard as I really want my boyfriend to recover too, for us to do this together or at least for him to want me to be sober as much as I do. Well, that is not happening and I am slowly accepting that.

I will tell you that since I have stopped drinking and started working a recovery program, I feel so much better than before: emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually, just everything. And good things have happened to me career-wise already. I am much more productive, focused, and serene. And I am just starting out. It really is amazing (not to say there are not hard times, or ups and downs, because there are... but overall it is very, very worth it and you will not regret it!) And for the first time probably in my whole life, my attitude/general feelings of well-being and calm etc. are not influenced by what is going on around me as much. For instance after I had a GREAT AA meeting and was feeling on top of the world, I came home and my boyfriend was quite drunk, and then I found out he drank almost a fifth of vodka by himself that day... and normally this would torture me and change my mood, but, it's weird... yes I was upset and worried for him but I still had that good current of happiness underneath everything else. How *I* was didn't depend on how *he* was. So that's something huge that's been happening to me that I wanted to share with you. I am convinced you will be a much better wife, mother, and, most importantly, PERSON, if you focus on sobriety and recovery. There is absolutely nothing negative that can happen from it, and only positives. (You may have physical or emotional dependence and a variety of different feelings after quitting, but just remember they are temporary, and see your doctor if necessary, but in the long-run you will be much happier I think, so, stay steadfast in your goals. )

Good luck!!! Here's wishing you a happy holiday and a truly new start this upcoming year.