Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ElectricLights

Angry Stressed out over difficult, angry, newly sober bf

I need help dealing with my difficult bf. He has been sober 5 days and is having a lot of mental/emotional issues. We have a 3 month old son and he use to be a stay at home dad. I stopped that last week when I came home from work and found him drunk. He had been drinking all day with the baby. After laying it on the line, get sober or the baby and I are gone he went to the hospital and did 2 days inpatient deter. He started intensive outpatient treatment yesterday (Monday) which lasts 4 weeks, 3 hrs a day, 4 days a week. He's tried to get sober before but he's never agreed to go to treatment so I am very proud of him. The problem lies in that he's being a "dry drunk" - he's become suck a negative, selfish, immature, narcissistic, nasty jackass. He is pissed off no matter what. He was pissed I enrolled our son in daycare and then when he had to watch him 4 hours today he was pissed about that. He bitches nonstop about the outpatient program (he's gone a whole 2 days) and is acting so resentful towards me about it. When he drinks he's a jerk and has bi-polar symptoms (periods of depression and mania) and when he's sober he's pretty much just angry, agitated, and depressed. I know he has a lot of embarrassment and self loathing due to his alcoholism, which contributes to his bad attitude as well as his mind adjusting to not having the alcohol. Last spring a dr. put him on Klonopin because he has an anxiety disorder so when he's been trying to stop drinking in the past he medicated with that. The dr. in his outpatient program told him no more Klonopin and put him on Campril. He's used to the "high" Valium or Klonopin give so the unnoticeable Campril is ******** to him. He keeps claiming he's got every side affect possible. When I tell him to talk to the dr about it he gets pissed and refuses. I'm so stressed out with him and his bad attitude, trying to fulfill my responsibilities with work, and take care of our baby. I need some advice on how to deal with him.