Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
starflier

Oh, desperatesister, I have two brothers and a sister, and a wife of 21 years who are all addicts. It never mattered what I did or did not do, they did what they wanted to. So far, my sister and both my brothers have survived and are all clean. I can only hope that my wife will do the same, although it's too early to tell. You know what I've learned? They will do what they will do. And, they will do it in their own time. Your worrying and my worrying are exactly that -- you and me worrying. In the meantime, they do what addicts do, and that is only what they want to do. If we reach out and try our hardest to help them, we are really only helping ourselves not to worry about them. I know that sounds awfully harsh, but it's the reality and truth of THEIR disease. We cannot stop, help, make them see what they're doing, any more than you can stop a terrier from chasing a squirrel. You obviously love your sister. Start going to Al-Anon and learn how to get healthy yourself before your love for your sister does damage to your own health. Peace.