View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
yo466

First of all, I was screwed up with drinking/drugs until I was 35, so I envy and congratulate you that you are trying to tackle this problem in your early 20's. Have you ever seen a therapist for some one on one counseling? I know it can be scary, but I found it to be invaluable to my recovery. I have been sober for over a year and I still go to regular sessions.

I know you are lonely, but I think that you have to love yourself first in order to make friends and get over some of the things that have gone on in your life. I have borderline schizophrenia and was put in a mental hospital for a week after one of my more famous binges. That's when I finally started thinking about quitting and it still took me a year to quit for good, because I was stubborn and alcoholism can be stubborn as well.

When I finally sought help (from this site and others) and got on the right medications and stopped drinking my whole world opened up. It's not perfect, but it's a hundred times better than how I felt for my 20 year drinking career. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin and stop the self destruction and self hatred.

I don't want to ramble, but if you seek out help from others I think you'll find that there are others out there that were in a similar situation as you. Then you can start to work on fixing your problem. Good luck to you and keep posting.