Notices

im on almost my sixth day

Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im on almost my sixth day

and the loneliness / depression is pretty hard right now. i dont really have anyone to help me get through these early stages. what can i expect in the upcoming weeks? prolly doesnt help i just quit smoking 2 weeks ago too
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You have us, sad. We all understand exactly what you're going through. No one gets it like our fellow addicts. My friends and family had no idea what I was going through, so when I came here it was a huge relief. I wasn't alone any more.

I drank my whole life, and when I found the encouragement and support SR had to offer, I got the strength to pour the last of my booze down the drain and reached out for a new life. I know you can do it, too. We're here to listen and help.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sad!!!

Congrats on day 6.

What are you recovering from? Drugs? Alcohol?

I suffered quite a bit of anxiety and depression when I quit drinking. With drinking the first several months my body and mind went through a lot of changes.

If you feel like sharing a little more of your history of drug/alcohol abuse you will find more answers and of course a lot of support.

This is the best support site there is. Lots of great people and great advice.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sad-

Hang in there, the first week is usually very tough, you're going through a ton of different emotions and dealing with some physical withdrawl as well. For me once I got through the first weekend (i was a big weekend binger), things got better. Instead of relapsing like I always did I decided to build on my accomplishments. In a couple of days you'll start to feel better and then build off of that.

As far as having someone to talk to, read the boards and post here, everyone is very supportive and encouraging.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sadsappysucker

I agree with the others - the first few weeks can be tough - but this is a great community - you'll find a lot of support & understanding here

Have you thought of looking for face to face support as well?
That may be a good way to meet new people

D
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support. Congrats on six days and here's to many more sober days. First few weeks can be rough going but it will start to smooth out. Get enough rest and good food, enough fluids, and you should be ok. If you start feeling worse, see your doctor.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow, that was really quick i figured this week was going to be the hardest, and im not expecting to feel 'normal' again anytime soon, whatever that may be.

anyways, my story is that i'm 23, and have been drinking since about age 15. i suffer from moderate to severe depression, and ive been hospitalized 3 times for that and alcoholism.

my depression began when i moved towns / changed schools at the end of 7th grade. it only worsened from there, as my best friend was suddenly killed in an accident just a couple years later (drunk driving.) 2 years after that, my father died from a brain tumor, and then 2 years after that my brother (heroin addict) hung himself. (hes still alive, but but brain dead in a nursing home.) so as you can read, i havent exactly had a lot to be happy about.

i wasnt able to finish college due to my depression/alcoholism , and the fact i'll be turning 24 in june and have no real direction scares the **** out of me. i have to somehow get my life going, and i don't know what else to do.

any advice, wisdom, etc. is greatly appreciated. i'm used to being lonesome, but alcohol always temporarily got rid of that. now i'm living with my depression rather than masking it and it sucks.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you've been through some tough times, but please know that we are here to offer support.

Don't give up on the idea of college because you're 23. It's certainly not too late to think about going back to school. Are you on medication to help with the depression, or have you considered counselling?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First of all, I was screwed up with drinking/drugs until I was 35, so I envy and congratulate you that you are trying to tackle this problem in your early 20's. Have you ever seen a therapist for some one on one counseling? I know it can be scary, but I found it to be invaluable to my recovery. I have been sober for over a year and I still go to regular sessions.

I know you are lonely, but I think that you have to love yourself first in order to make friends and get over some of the things that have gone on in your life. I have borderline schizophrenia and was put in a mental hospital for a week after one of my more famous binges. That's when I finally started thinking about quitting and it still took me a year to quit for good, because I was stubborn and alcoholism can be stubborn as well.

When I finally sought help (from this site and others) and got on the right medications and stopped drinking my whole world opened up. It's not perfect, but it's a hundred times better than how I felt for my 20 year drinking career. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin and stop the self destruction and self hatred.

I don't want to ramble, but if you seek out help from others I think you'll find that there are others out there that were in a similar situation as you. Then you can start to work on fixing your problem. Good luck to you and keep posting.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you've been through some tough times, but please know that we are here to offer support.

Don't give up on the idea of college because you're 23. It's certainly not too late to think about going back to school. Are you on medication to help with the depression, or have you considered counselling?
the ones i can remember being on are prozac, paxil, and welbutrin. there was at least one more ive tried i believe. problem is i always drank on my medication. i stopped taking my medications a few months ago because i don't want to depend on a pill to make me happy. plus, the happiness felt artificial, and as if i was numbed.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about your father and brother, and your best friend. I really can't imagine having to deal with what you've been through at your age. Just getting through my late teens/early 20's was hard enough...... I had no idea who I was or what life was all about. I went through lots of depression and loneliness too.

The thing about alcohol is that it makes all that worse (even though it feels like relief for a couple hours). The more I turned to drinking, the smaller and darker my world got. I'm really glad you want to be sober - your whole future will be different because of that decision.

Take it one day at a time - believe me, at 6 days sober it's normal to feel like you're in the middle of a hurricane of emotions. It's enough right now just to get through the day without a drink. Watch TV, eat, read posts.... keep it simple...... we're here for you!:ghug3