View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ddrayer

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
So do these two approaches really contradict one another? Only if one insists on dogmatically developing a rigid structure which all "alcoholics" must "accept" in order to "get well".
W.
This was much what I was trying to get at. Many people in this thread have said similar things and some havent. But I feel better today about my sobriety having read briefly through AVRT and meeting for an hour and half with my sponsor. Both pushed me further in my quest in a different yet equally valuable journey. I don't even necessarily need to say alcoholism is a disease. If people want to say its just my weak will power thats fine, whether its a disease or a lack of self control the end result is the same. Its a distinction without a difference for me personally. The pedantic arguments to split the two seem kind of crazy to me!

Also I hope that my post did not stir up too much animosity. I have found it very enlightening and informative reading different peoples opinions and experiences. In some sense we all walk this path alone, but its great to know I'm not the only one who has walked it! Thank you all!