View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Willybluedog View Post
I am a firm believer that it's ok to be angry when you have been "done wrong" Jesus could turn the other cheek "becuase he was Jesus" !
Even in the Bible Jesus got angry at things He felt important, though - the story of overturning carts in the Temple marketplace is actually one of my favorite stories because it shows that it's okay to be angry for a good cause, and it's okay to do something about it.
He actually sounds like He was exasperated quite a lot with a lot of well-intentioned but clueless people who thought they were helping. So there's hope for me, too.

To me, "turning the other cheek" means that I shouldn't allow other people to draw me into an argument that isn't important, I should "turn the other cheek" rather than "throw the next punch."
That doesn't mean that I shouldn't get angry, though. And that doesn't mean I can't do something about it - I just have to try and pick a healthier response that will actually bring some positive results for my life, rather than some missing teeth to go with the original black eye.
That's not to say I always achieve that, either, but it's a good goal anyway.