View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
vujade
Chaotically Peaceful

Wow DE! I've SOOOO been there. I'm two years out of the initial physical separation (the divorce took 16 months because of all the financial issues) and whereas I still have those sad and guilty feelings from time-to-time, they are not nearly as intense or frequent as they were in the first few months.

Much like you, I am a professional, I am responsible with money, and yet we STILL ended up in BK. I trudged through it and thought it could be a new start for us but as soon as we were out of that immediate emergency and I got things under control, he was out racking up more debt behind my back. I found out about that and an affair in one day (I was actually looking for Rx drugs and found a loan payment book and suggestive texts from a woman instead) and I was DONE. It still floors him that I could just walk away, but the truth is that I had been so incredibly lonely for a partner for so long, I really had emotionally walked away long before that day.

I will forewarn you that even though have clearly made your decision (a wise and healthy one, at that), there do come times of weakness and uncertainty. I have learned that a journal really helped me. I kept a good account of my thoughts and his actions so that when I felt those moments of weakness, I could revisit the strong and resolute "me" and remember why I made the choices I made.

My kiddos and I still have to deal with some BS that comes from his continued poor-decision making but I have to remind myself that at least it isn't every day and that because *I* am free of his insanity, I am a more stable parent for them than I was in past years.

Hang in there!!! You sound like you are clear and determined and you'll get nothing but support here.