View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
OceanSize

Originally Posted by Jasmine2011 View Post
Do your friends and family drink around you during the holidays? If so, is that wrong?
Hi there - i like this question a lot.

this is my first sober holiday season - but i really appreciated the thanksgiving dinner i attended on thursday where there was a great mix of sober folk and "normies" alike.

at one point someone walked to our "side" of the table (sit down dinner) and offered us wine. we all said no and then made fun jokes like "if you only knew" etc.

it was a really lovely thanksgiving, more than i ever thought it would be, so i'm glad i didn't stress in advance. I had a wonderful time, bonded with other addicts but under very "normal" circumstances - without alcohol. I was able to socialize and feel ok and like myself and not have a hangover. In addition, i was....well....i was present.

truly present.

wine at the table had nothing to do with it.

I'll be home in about a week for a few days and my mom will likely drink wine around me ...or... act weird about it and specifically make a point to not drink wine (which is what she would normally do)

personally i like when people behave as they wish to behave. i don't mind if my family drinks - at least so far so good.

like i said, this is my first go-round without xanax, hydrocodone, oxycontin, wine etc.

i think maybe it's the first thanksgiving in 20+ years without any booze. that's just weird. and yet - i had a blast!!!!!!