View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kialua

Reverse I also understand your desire to have a family that cares. But you have the opportunity to give that to your children now. They don't need quantity of relatives if they have you. I was the one in my family of origin that babysat and took care of all the kids and helped out to no end. When I had my child no one cared, no one helped, no one visited. No one. I understand. It's not fair, it's tiring and it hurts.

All towns big or small are inclusive. I didn't find anyone willing to take me and mine in either. I have friends but they keep busy with their own family. One of the biggest hurts in the holidays for me has been not having a "cookie" day with friends or family. Even my best friend is too full with her own kids to make room for me. My daughter and I could make a dozen cookies to trade with each other but we'd only have two dozen then! haha. So I would make my own treats and deliver them to my loved ones whether I got anything in return or not.

But make a new beginning now. I did. Keep your kids busy with classes, crafts, field trips, friends over, movie night, etc., be creative it doesn't even have to cost a lot. Mine was too distracted to notice. She once told someone that she never was lonely as she was always busy with friends and activities.

My daughter used to wonder why we had no extended family until I finally told her a bit of the truth when she was an adult. I never felt like she had to know the gruesome details as a child, she didn't need to carry my burden. And now she has a friend with an alcoholic father who creates havoc so now she sees it. She thanked me for keeping her from our extended family now that she knows what it is like.

Make a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas for your kids. They will love it, if you love it.