Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thumper

I totally understand that feeling and felt the exact same way.

We can't not care but we can learn to not take action (or take no action) based on fear of possible future events. That keeps us very stuck. That was hard for me. We can learn to care about ourselves enough to do what is in our own best interest - also hard for me.

What I learned in my personal situation. It made no difference that I said it out loud. It didn't cause any more damange. He did have a clue but he was invested in protecting the addiction. When he thought it would work to agree with me he did. When that didn't work he tried other things. I had to watch the actions because despite the words, his actions protected the addiction.

Alcoholism thrives in denial. The elephant in the room that everyone ignores leads to something for those kids. Don't talk, don't trust, don't feel. I grew up with it and I perpetuated it in my own family.

In my world the planned and intelligent sharing (I was forever waiting for the right time)was code. I was afraid to confront him on this topic partly because I avoided any and all confrontation and partly because I was in denial myself. If I said it outloud then I could no longer pretend it wasn't there. I had to figure out what to do about the elephant and that seemed like a very big job.