View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

TallTrees, I do not know if people bring babies; I have never seen anyone bring babies to a meeting before.

Going to Al-Anon is something you do for yourself and part of going to Al-Anon and working the program is teaching you to actually do what you need to take care of yourself. There is no need to feel bad for asking your husband to watch the kids for two hours once a week and actually is counterproductive and likely hurting you though you may not know that yet. I had no idea how much the way I relate to others was hurting me and holding me down and holding me back. There are meetings on weekends as well as weekdays, at all hours of day and night. It is so worth it.

Yes, I also had to call CPS for two children who were being neglected and abused. And yes, it was found out and it "backfired." But I never regretted it because I knew (and know) it was the right thing to do. I did eventually have to walk away from that part of my family because it was so dysfunctional. I did not know how sick it was making me until later. After I did, though, I found peace for the first time in my life. And lo and behold, those kids survived all those years without me!

And yes, I have heard of Emotional Incest and I understand that it is very common in alcoholic and addicted families. Sick.