View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OhBoy

I can't really offer you any advice for your situation, but it sounds A LOT like when me & my AW started dating. We had many talks about it & 15 years later the issue is still there but WAY worse. It is no joke that it is a progressive disease. Writing this I can't believe I've blocked out all the problems we had early on, seems like one day I woke up & found out she's an alcoholic. I know I wish I had payed attention to the signs earlier when I wasn't as emotionally & financially tied down in our marriage.
It probably won't matter to her that it hurts you. If she is an alcoholic, drinking is more important to her than anything else. You have to ask yourself if you can handle living with the pain that goes along with her drinking. I know, I dealt with if with my father. He did recover & stay sober for 25 years but did eventually die of liver cancer so I know how it can hurt to see the woman you love go down that road. It much harder now & the disease is on a mission now & is progressing fast. I know I wish I could have avoided all the years of pain it has/is/will cause me. There is a lot of support here. It has given me the realization we all have choices in everything we do. Knowing there are choices can be a great comfort.