View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
missk

Girlfriend has a drink problem?

Hi

Need some advice, because i am pretty sure my girlfriend has a drink problem.

I have been seeing this girl for a year and half now and i cant recall a night where she has not had a drink. I have approached her about her drinking, as i said it upsets me because my father, + 2 friends died because of alcohol. Everytime i bring this up, she says to me "i only have a couple of cans of beer a night after work, like any normal person" but when it comes to the weekend when i see her, she must drink about 6 to 7 cans each night i am there and ends up drunk all the time.

Obviously this causes friction in our relationship, because she thinks this is normal, but i have grown up with the effect of alcohol and seen what it can do to people and i really dont know how to approach this anymore.

I have sat down and explained my life to her and the effect of alcohol has had on me personally, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other because nothing changes, she still continues to get drunk. We do live a distance apart from each other, and most nights when she calls she slurs down the phone, i say to her your on your 3rd beer now arent you, as i know and she just says to me stop going on.

We have now split up unfortunately as i really dont think i play much importance in her life, but i am guessing that the drink it not making her see clearly, i am really not sure.

I do know part of the reason why she drinks as she has this fear of dying, but i have said i will talk and be as supportive as i can, but she also needs to help herself.

Any advice i would really appreciate