Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mattmathews

My wife (now in recovery for 18 months) was a pretty serious drinker for the second 15 years of our marriage, and the last 5 years before she got treatment were a kind of living hell.
One of the first things she said, coming out of treatment, was "Now we need to start working on you." Shortly after that we were in marriage counseling and I think that at that point in time, she was seriously considering divorce. As for me? I wasn't going to tell her no, my life had been pretty miserable. But I really was supporting her recovery and wanting her to succeed...so I kept my mouth shut.
One of the things our marriage counselor said was "Don't make any big decisions." I think that's good advice at this point in your life and your husbands life. Don't make any big decisions. With just a couple of months sobriety under his belt...he still is not seeing the world as it really is. Right now, he may well be on a "pink cloud." In a couple of months he may be in the dumps. Six months or a year from now, he may be beginning to have his head on straight. I recommend reading about "PAWS," post acute alcohol withdrawl syndrome for some insight into what his body and his mind are going through.
When my wife went into treatment, it was suggested that I attend an Al-Anon meeting. I did so, and then kept going back. It really help me recover from the effects of my wife's alcoholism.
In case you're wondering, my wife and I are still together and feel grateful that we've been able to share our recovery experience. I feel like I've got a second chance at life.