Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Aegian

Originally Posted by Solis View Post
I'm trying to keep myself focused on the fact that this is only temporary. By August, I'll be out of this job, out of this state, and back in the atmosphere I love working towards my passions. In August, I'll be off to grad school to get my MFA and to progress towards getting a professional career in either editing/publishing or becoming a teacher, whichever catches my fancy. That's part of why I am so unhappy right now; this place is merely an in-between place, a state of limbo between my former extreme unhappiness and the bright future ahead of me. I'm impatient. And the crap I have to cut through to reach that future is starting to beat me down.
Ah - that makes perfect sense. I'm an 'everything YESTERDAY' type too. Couldn't wait to go back to school to work on my Masters. That in itself was a long slog, but getting started was a huge relief.

If I were in your shoes right now, I would do something that would help me focus on the next step as a reminder that the present is just a holding pattern. Maybe a reverse calendar or countdown clock?

Another thing I would gravitate toward is, again, the gratitude list. My temperament would go NUTS if I worked somewhere doing something that didn't give me a sense of accomplishment, or at least giving back. In that position, I would need to rewire my thinking and try to refocus by calling it a 'mental break' - giving me downtime in preparation for a huge lifestyle change (moving + school + new work). I might also use the free time to set expectations for that future. Googling up things like places to live in the new community, things to do - and put those links into a bookmarks folder to revisit when having a down day and needing a reminder of why this interim stage.

It is no doubt frustrating to not have control of your kitchen, diet, meals, etc - but if all goes as planned, you will have your hands full with budgets, cooking, work/school in no time. Take advantage of the current situation and be grateful that it is one less thing to worry about while you save funds and continue to work on your recovery!