Thread: Why do we stay?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tryintosmile

Originally Posted by jds0401 View Post
I think I stayed this long for a variety of ACOA and codependency issues (with the ACOA issues being stronger for me but everyone is different).

ACOA/Childhood stuff I hold and am working on releasing: I stayed because I was afraid of getting old/becoming an old woman no one would want to be with and being alone (ironically the longer I stay the more relevant that worry becomes). I wanted to be viewed as perfect by friends and family. I didn't want to do the work of finding someone else. By being with an A I was able to keep my emotions hidden (the A certainly doesn't challenge you in that area since they're busy drinking/lying) and not have to deal with my own childhood issues (this is a huge part of it).

huh...well the above is mostly it...with a touch of this:

Codie issue: It's very easy to quickly forget the bad episodes and think things will be better when you're with a binger...they sober up a while and things are good and you get in denial hoping the rollercoaster won't swing down again...but it always seems to (I was hopeful with his first serious attempt at recovery/rehab but a relapse occurred and I'm not sure he's truly back on the horse).
Wow - I couldn't have said it better myself! This is pretty much why I've stayed - in a nutshell!

Yes - when it is good it is very very good - and when it is bad it is horrid. I honestly don't think we'd stay if it was horrible all of the time (unless we were physically trapped and had no resources). There are some really good things and most of the time I spend weighing out the bad with the good, and end up somewhere in the middle - on the fence - and indecisive.