Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
FT

The booze calendar

Originally Posted by LifeIsGood77 View Post
I read in RR that you shouldn't track the number of days you've been sober. I think that it is relevant when you go to a Dr. who knows about your drinking to be able to say I've not had a drink since _______ .

Does anyone here keep track of the time they've been sober? If you do, does it make you feel good to know you've been sober for x amount of time?
I think people sometimes use the sober-count as some kind of a time investment that should not be wasted away. While that may be true, it has the reverse effect for someone that relapses. I think it makes it easier for a relapse to turn into a "toot" (a term my mother in law -- long dead now -- used to use for binge drinking). And then for the "toot" to turn into a lifestyle. Hey, I blew MY WHOLE WAD ANYWAY, so why bother stopping until I'm READY?

It also adds shame into the mix to have to admit you've "blown" your accumulated time.

I'll have to admit I do enjoy the realization that I haven't had a drink in a very long time, but that feeling pales compared to the enjoyment I get on a daily basis from the sense of freedom I get by being a non-drinker and non-opiate-user. No chains. No calendars. No restrictions. No decisions. I have enough of that stuff in other parts of my life.

Just my thoughts.

FT