View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
switchboard

Maybe a talk (or another talk) with your doctor would be a good place to start. Don't feel ashamed.

I remember an episode of The Golden Girls .. Rose was hooked on pain pills and had been for years, and was "found out" .. tried to get off them, struggled, and eventually went to rehab.

I know it's just a sitcom, but I think they did that episode to let people know that anyone can face addiction, even good sweet gentle Rose. Sometimes stuff like that "happens" .. and one time leads to the next, and boom .. we're addicted. Alcohol, pills, whatever.

I'm certainly not minimumizing it by comparing it to a sitcom, so please don't get me wrong .. I've lived it and it is scary and frustrating - and embarrassing. But it's OK. Overall, we do what we do simply to find ways to "be happy" .. and that's not a bad thing. We don't do it to hurt amyone (though that happens anyway, but it was never our initial intent).

You are a good person who took a wrong turn and got tangled up. Keep on being you and being real, and accept any help that feels right. If the doc thinks antidepressants might be in order, it might be worth a try. You can always taper down and get off of them if it turns out otherwise.

Good luck .. it will be OK.