Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Goat! Funny avatar --- love it.

Welcome here. I am NOT the official greeter, and I am NOT an expert on AVRT. But I did use my own technique that resembles AVRT when I quit drinking years ago.

The "IT" you refer to is still YOU, but it is the "voice" or "persona" of the beast. I always called it my "addict brain" in high gear, but AVRT calls it the "addictive voice" -- TU, please correct me if I am wrong.

In your post I can tell you are still having a fist fight with your Beast, which only empowers it. If it recognizes that you are willing to be so engaged, that inflames it and makes it appear more formidable than it is.

You can't really "ignore" the Beast or its voice (to me, the "addict brain"), because it is a normal and natural part of you as a human being. But you don't have to let it drive the car, so to speak.

What helped me a lot was to simply "take my dog out of the fight". Making a "simple" decision to be a non-drinker ("I will never drink again and I will never change my mind") makes every decision after that a non-issue. You just don't drink, no matter how much whining or fighting your addictive voice/Beast wants to engage you.

TU has suggestions for reading, which should really help you identify and work with these concepts. I'll leave it to him to do that, but I think his profile has some references right on it.

Good luck, and I'm glad you've found this thread!

FT