Thread: I'm ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ladybug0130

I know nothing of your situation, but I will say when I met my husband 13 years ago, he was a lot like the man you describe. Sweet as can be, had lots of friends, had his own successful business. I thought I had landed a big catch! I soon found out that when he drank, it was often too much, but we were in our 20s and had a lot of friends who drank too much so it didn't seem like anything too bad. When he drank too much, he would often just pass out or get really emotional and cry. He wasn't ever mean to me or anything so it seemed okay. Heck, I drank too much sometimes too!

Fast forward 13 years. We just got divorced. He became a totally out of control alcoholic over the past three years and lost his clients, his friends and his family. He has been in and out of detoxes and rehabs numerous times. He was just sober for about 30 days because he was threatened with jail otherwise, but as soon as that court ordered stay in a sober house was over, he was back in a motel drinking. I never ever in a million years thought it would get as bad as it did.

Some people who drink too much stop eventually, some don't. It's hard to tell what will happen with your guy but I will say, it doesn't sound incredibly good. I think if your inner voice is telling you something you might want to listen. I wish I had known better!