View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SweetCityWoman

I think this is a very valuable thread. I am now at 14 months. My first milestone was 1 month and that seemed difficult (it really was day by day those first few weeks). Thoughts of trying moderation stayed in my head for awhile because early on I couldn't imagine NEVER EVER drinking again so I decided just not to act on these thoughts and put them aside so I could give sobriety a try.

Then at about 6 months I was getting an idea that life could be sober and I could go places and do things without drinking. So at that time I decided not to even consider moderation until one year and I totally relaxed not having to worry about moderation (moderation is very cunning and can trick you into thinking you can do it - most of us can't). So I figured I was just as good without wine and was afraid to risk even a glass - and who wants only one glass of wine anyways)!!

So on August 20th of this year when I finally arrived at one year I had learned that I really don't have to drink to have a life and that trying moderation is way too risky and just not worth it - I had learned I didn't need wine to live my life and still be happy. BUT THIS IS KEY: I had to live it myself my first year to really get it. So those just starting out with sobriety must have faith that your feelings about moderation will change the longer you are able to live sober.

Also, I realized that I had to do something different to break the seemingly never-ending cycle of drinking/not drinking and then going back to drinking to try to be a "normal drinker". Problem is I'd be right back to drinking NOT like "normal" within weeks or a month or so. So I joined this forum and participated and with the help of people here forced myself to try AA (and I was scared to death). AA was critical in my first several months, however, as I gradually got back to other activities and interests I filled my time with those things. AA is one form of affiliation and some make that part of life but for me I chose other affiliations and know AA will always be there if I need it.

Hope my story (in brief) is helpful to others - even if one person gets one thing out of it then well worth posting.
SCW