Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
In RR, what is the semantic difference an alcoholic, an addict, chemical dependency and a functional disorder?
I believe that Trimpey is using the term "functional disorder" to refer to a neurosis of sorts, based upon a single error (the addictive mandate) which then organizes all thought process accordingly. This is expounded on more in his paper, "The Triumph of Addiction Recovery in the Breakdown of the Bicameral, Addictive Voice – or, Who Killed Julian Jaynes?"

See my previous post on how the AV re-organizes thoughts in such a way in order to fit the addictive mandate:

Functions of the Addictive Voice

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey

Deep, sensual pleasure can neuter the secondary, moral bimcamerality, causing default to the primal, anti-family bicamerality which supports life in the jungle as well as south of the tracks. The result is a transient, functional disorder characterized by a distinct sense that further self-intoxication is inevitable, i.e., necessary for reasons which are not immediately clear. Significant others usually notice a significant personality change, such as a the development of pre-delinquent attitudes and behaviors in a well adjusted adolescent, or remoteness, secrecy, and irritability by a formerly loving and tolerant spouse. This catastrophic breakdown of moral functioning results from immersion in mind-blowing addictive pleasures.
Excerpted from "The Triumph of Addiction Recovery in the Breakdown of the Bicameral, Addictive Voice – or, Who Killed Julian Jaynes?" — ©2009, Jack Trimpey. All rights reserved.
As for addict, alcoholic, and chemical dependency, it is worth keeping in mind that addiction is a state of ambivalence regarding chemical dependence use which can be known only to the addicted person, so unless someone tells you that they are "an addict" or "an alcoholic," you cannot really know for sure. In general, though, RR discourages such self-labeling, viewing it as detrimental to one's recovery. For the purposes of AVRT, once you are no longer ambivalent about your chemical dependency, having decided one way or the other, you are no longer addicted.

See my post on basic definitions in the first AVRT thread, or refer to the Rational Recovery Dictionary at the end of "RR: TNC":