Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by mizo1010 View Post
Kialua and Willybluedog,

Thank you for both of your replys...I'm truly grateful for taking the time to read my story and for responding. It's comforting to know that there are people out there who share a similar story and who understand how gut wrenching it is to have an alcoholic parent.

I have thought about going to Al-Anon... It's hard to take the first step. A part of me is scared to go because I think a part of me is still in denial over my mom being an alcoholic... If I go to Al-Anon, I will then have to truly face my reality and deal with all of my emotions.

May you both find happiness in the midst of your struggles.

Mizo1010
Definitely go! Al-Anon is all about you, not the alcoholic. Some Al-Anons even say "you're not supposed to label someone else an alcoholic," although I don't think that's the case -- if I want to describe someone as an alkie, I'm doing it whether I'm supposed to or not! But the program is not about figuring out ways to make someone give up booze -- it's about finding ways to "achieve contentment and even happiness, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not."

For me, after I'd been going to meetings for awhile, I found that I didn't have to react to... whatever... anymore, and that I could deal with both "good" and "bad" behavior out of the person in question.

The other thing is, you don't have to say anything, at a meeting -- you can just sit and listen if you want. Or sit, listen, and read pamphlets!

T