View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gr8ful42day
I love this place.

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
I just returned from my weekly therapy appointment. She actually came out and said that if I overcome my "issues", the things that make me drink, I wont want to drink again. She said I would be able to drink "normally" once I dont need to drink as a coping mechanism. I will be free to take it or leave it.
What are all of your thoughts? Please help cause I figured I would never be able to drink again. Ever. Period.
Page 6, Big Book, Dr's Opinion
I do not hold with those who believe that alcoholism is entirely a problem of mental control. I have had many men who had, for example, worked a period of months on some problem or business deal which was to be settled on a certain date, favorably to them. They took a drink a day or so prior to the date, and then the phenomenon of craving at once became paramount to all other interests so that the important appointment was not met. These men were not drinking to escape; they were drinking to overcome a craving beyond their mental control.
Page 7
All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence.

There is a solution, 22/23
We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.
More About Alcoholism, pg 30
We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.