View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

Apparently, the new admonition to remember is "Beware the Ides of October". It doesn't take a soothsayer to recognize the weirdness that 4 of 5 of us had a day that made us want to drink, for one reason or another, or a variety combo of reasons. I was pissed, Mirage was in a funk, Aussie wanted normalcy, and Dave was out of sorts for missing an otherwise fun family day.

It looks like we all made it through, I hope. Thanks to our anchor, Dee, and to our accountability to each other. I, for one, know I didn't want to be the one here today saying I caved. And, I'm glad I shan't. (In Baroque-style language).

But, I also can't keep stewing on what pissed me off, so I'll share. It's long-winded, and not interesting, so feel free to skip to the bottom. I help a lot of folks retire. Some are already retired. Part of my planning is helping them make their medicare decisions, from a needs/costs perspective. I kept having to outsource the sale of the product, though, as I don't really handle health insurance. Last year, I decided that was too much of a pain; to schedule, coordinate, etc., so I got certified and thought, hey, I'll make a few hundred per sale instead of giving it away. So I did, and I'm glad I did. I also get leads from the company I represent. A voluntary part of the program is agreeing to man a booth at a grocery store or drug store for a few hours a few times. I agreed to do so Saturday, and convinced myself it would be worth it as it was opening day for sales. Instead, when I got there I found they had set up the table/booth near the entry door where the carts are, a cold, windy, noisy mess not conducive to sales, and near the cub scouts selling their poopcorn (yes, I said that on purpose). Now, I was a scout, and raised scouts, and was a scout leader. Another conversation. These little imps were attacking every person in or out of the store, blocking my booth, being totally inconsiderate. I couldn't say anything, per rules of what I do and the company I represent. It was a complete waste of a day; I took a long lunch, drove across town, saw my son start his last cc race of his life, but couldn't see him finish as I had to drive back across town to deal with the cub imps. I didn't even have one conversation with an eligible prospect. I will NEVER do that again, and am dropping out of that retail program. It is the most humbling, least satisfying and least productive event that I do. But, it is activity, and activity is what counts. Prospecting for my job is like fishing; you never know what's gonna bite, or how big it is. My general agent will be happy, as he has never wanted me to do the program; "don't be one of those guys", he says. Well, I haven't made my 3 million yet like he has, so I'm not proud. And, I like to help people. I don't consider it bottom-feeding, but it does feel like it sometimes.

Okay...thanks for letting me rant and vent. I actually do feel better.

Today, will be a MUCH better day for all! Here, it's actually, truly a blustery day in the 100 acre wood! In fact, I just saw Christopher Robin snuggled under an apple tree reading a book, hair blown about. It won't be as tempting to be outside enjoying temperate weather in intemperate ways.

I hope all feel the same way.

Mirage...good for your Tigers to go as far as they did. I understand the letdown, though, as we went through it last year.

Dave...give that family a bear hug when they get home. It seems like that would do all of ya a lot of good.

Frances...thanks for the support. See how we all fall apart when you and Dee are gone for a day?

Aussie...I trust the f'it's didn't win out down under, either. Hope you are well.

All others...hang in there. Sobriety is what counts. Let's keep each other sober and accountable to ourselves!