Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
I have this unsettling feeling about this though like what if my Beast gets super sneaky and somehow does convince me to drink? What if I'm not on guard one time and it gets the upper hand?
This is the Addictive Voice itself, warden Beast talking, which doesn't want you to escape the prison of addiction. All self-doubt about your own ability to abstain is the AV. You don't really have to be on guard, because nothing is more conspicuous to a formerly addicted person than the desire to drink or use.

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Right now I'm just constantly in my own head trying to watch for suspicious signs and urges, obviously I'm not always going to be doing that and don't want to either. Does this uneasy feeling dissipate with time?
If you recognize it for what it is, yes, but realize that your AV will throw any prior recovery concepts that you may have picked up along the way right back at you. Examples include slippery places, triggers, having no defense against the first drink, the idea that nobody can just quit or do it alone, etc. Set your confidence level arbitrarily at 100%, recognize all self-doubt as the Addictive Voice itself, and you will do well.