Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
You're doing good, freethinking. You don't have to be afraid of your own desire for alcohol (the Beast), or the Addictive Voice, which is the expression of that desire, any more than you have to be afraid of your own sex drive. Don't explain to the AV why you never drink; just recognize IT, stare IT down, and IT will settle down.

You have the power, not the Beast, because IT is powerless, nothing more than a quadriplegic, and only you control your muscles. IT cannot do anything without YOUR help. Each time you stare IT down and force IT to bow down to superior force, IT will become progressively weaker, and you'll have an the advantage.

Eventually, you'll probably just laugh at the AV when it pops up, and think "HA! You again, Ms. Beast? Still at it, huh? You sound pretty pathetic these days. I never drink, remember? Too bad for you."
Thanks for the encouragement and the advice on not even needing to explain anything to it. That makes sense.

We had about 20 people over today. Me and The Beast actually went to the liquor store to buy the beer and wine. I know my husband was scared i was going to be tempted to buy my own stash, but it didn't happen. A couple of times I felt a little more "quiet" than normal at our party today (as I am usually drunk/heavily buzzed at these things), and a thought crossed my mind that if I was drinking that I wouldn't feel so bad about not being as talkative and I'd be more "funny" and social. But again, any thoughts I had sort of happened in a way where I was observing the thoughts but was not "one" with the thoughts.

We did give the leftover wine and beer away as people were leaving this evening because, although I am trying to lessen my fear of alcohol, I am not sure I am *there* yet in having it in the house. But I was very proud of the fact that last night my husband had his drinks at dinner and then again today we served it in our house and I was fine. In fact, I had a really nice time on both occasions.

Five years ago I would have thought this whole approach was nuts, but it makes so much sense. I am taking away the power that I have given to an inanimate object. In reality, I have always had the power and still do, but it's going to take a while to deprogram myself from the belief that I am powerless.